Archive for July, 2009

source: Two more people have died in Orange County from the H1N1 swine flu, the health department said Friday.

The women, ages 70 and 25, are the third and fourth people whose deaths were related to the H1N1 virus in Orange County.



Share on Facebook

No Comments

source: South Africa’s swine flu caseload has increased fourfold in two weeks, with 480 confirmed cases as of Friday, the National Institute for Communicable Diseases said.

Most of the victims are young, but so far, no one in the country has died from the A(H1N1) virus, the institute said.



Share on Facebook

No Comments

source: A middle-aged San Luis Obispo County man has died from H1N1 swine flu, county health officials said today.

The man, whose name and hometown were not released, is the first in the county to die from the illness. He is the 81st person to die from the virus in California this year, officials said in a statement.



Share on Facebook

No Comments

source: Ottawa has recorded its third death related to swine flu, health officials said Thursday.

A 62-year-old man died of a hemorrhage, in which the H1N1 virus was said to have played a role.



Share on Facebook

No Comments

source: A woman aged in her 30s has become the ninth person with swine flu to die in Queensland.



Share on Facebook

No Comments

source: An elderly woman is the latest person with swine flu to die in NSW, taking the state’s virus-related toll to 22, authorities say.

The woman, aged in her 70s, tested positive for H1N1 influenza but also suffered “underlying medical conditions”, a NSW Health statement said.



Share on Facebook

No Comments

source: The ACT has recorded its first swine flu-related death – a 54-year-old Canberra man in hospital this week.

Territory Health Minister Katy Gallagher said the man underlying medical conditions and it was up to the coroner to determine the exact cause of death.

“He certainly had swine flu but whether or not it’s the cause of death will be up to the coroner to determine,” Ms Gallagher said.

“He came to Canberra Hospital quite unwell and he passed away shortly after.”

The health minister said the man didn’t have a confirmed case of swine flu when he presented at the hospital.

The ACT is the last jurisdiction in Australia to record a swine flu-related death.

As of Friday there were 722 confirmed cases of swine flu in the territory, according to ACT Health.

Nationally, there have been 20,688 confirmed cases and 59 deaths associated with swine flu.



Share on Facebook

No Comments

source: 19 new deaths added, no media report.



Share on Facebook

No Comments

source: Brazil announced on Thursday two more deaths from A/H1N1 flu, raising the death toll to 64 in the country.

According to the Brazilian health authorities, the two latest victims were from Sao Paulo Province in southeastern Brazil. One victim was a 38-year-old pregnant woman. Another was a 58-year-old man with heart problems and diabetes.



Share on Facebook

No Comments

source: The Honduran health authorities on Thursday reported two new deaths of A/H1N1 influenza, raising the total death toll to four in the country.

“Today we received a notification from the general direction office about two patients who died of A/H1N1 flu,” Victor Borjas, an epidemiologist working for the health ministry, told local media.



Share on Facebook

No Comments

source: Mexican health authorities confirmed four new A/H1N1 flu deaths on Thursday, bringing the total death toll to 146 in the country.

The country has reported a total of 16,442 infected cases so far. About 50 percent of the cases were found in five states — Chiapas, Yucatan, Veracruz, Jalisco and Tabasco — and Mexico City.



Share on Facebook

No Comments

source: The Alameda County Coroner’s Office has confirmed the death of Nicole Savoy, 33, at St. Rose Hospital due to the H1N1 swine flu virus.

The south Hayward resident died July 12 of “respiratory insufficiency,” officials said, adding that the cause was pneumonia due to the virus.



Share on Facebook

No Comments

source: A Norfolk County 20-year-old and two other state residents have died from the swine flu, bringing the virus’ death toll in Massachusetts to ten, the Department of Public Health says.

The latest round of fatalities includes a 53-year-old Essex County resident and a 21-year-old Hampden County resident. The department says all three patients had underlying medical conditions that made them more susceptible to swine flu, or H1N1, but that it can’t release more details for privacy reasons.



Share on Facebook

No Comments

Will there be enough swine flu vaccine for everyone in the fall?
A vaccine isn’t going to come galloping to our rescue before the pandemic hits again in the fall. Viruses grow at different speeds and the virus to make the swine flu vaccine is growing about 30 percent to 50 percent of the rate of the regular influenza. This is not going well. The first tests in human beings are just beginning in Australia. There will be tests in the U.S. in August.

It’s very clear there is not going to be a vaccine before school starts.

There was a lot of discussion at the meeting yesterday about the inclusion of 18-24 year olds in the recommendations. College students would be very vulnerable. When young people are in close quarters, they are at high risk of getting the virus.

The schools are the obvious place where it looks like there’s going to be trouble again. In the height of the epidemic in May, there were about 450,000 students not going to school because of swine flu. It could be far worse in the fall.

The concern of people who do computer models of outbreaks is, what if everybody in a power plant was stricken? We might lose a critical service. Or what if a huge percentage of people in sanitation service were sickened?

There are ways in which a disease, which is relatively moderate or mild in most people, could still be very disruptive to society. But there isn’t a whole lot we can do about it at this point.



Share on Facebook

1 Comment

source: An Indonesian woman died of the new H1N1 flu in Saudi Arabia on Thursday, the second death in the kingdom which is gearing up to welcome hundreds of thousands of Muslim pilgrims in November.

The official Saudi Press Agency quoted the health ministry as saying the 28-year-old woman died in the city of Dammam, in the eastern region of the kingdom which has a large population of foreign workers from Asian countries.



Share on Facebook

No Comments